||(852) 3442 6605
||(852) 3442 0359
Last updated: 04 July 2012
Dr. Wai-Sum Lee is a member of the Phonetics Lab of the Department of Chinese, Translation and Linguistics at the City University of Hong Kong. She was Research Assistant Professor teaching phonetics and phonology in the Department of Linguistics at the University of Hong Kong before joining the City University of Hong Kong in 2006. She has carried out research projects on acoustics, articulation, and perception of the sounds of major Chinese dialects: Cantonese, Mandarin, and Hakka. She is a member of the Editorial Board of the Chinese Journal of Phonetics and the Co-chair of the Organizing Committee of the 17th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, Hong Kong, 2011.Research Areas
Experimental phoneticsReceived Research GrantsGeneral Research Fund, the Research Grant Council of the Hong Kong Government
Strategic Research Grant, the City University of Hong Kong
- 2009-2012, ‘Dispersion and Variability of Male and Female Vowels - Data from Three Chinese Dialects’ (HK$833,316)
- 2008-2010, ‘Typology of the Vowels, Consonants, and Tones of the Chinese Dialects’ (HK$875,000)
- 2005-2008, ‘Phonetics and Phonology of the Chinese Dialects: Xiamen, Kejia, and Nanchang’ (HK$989,551)
Start-Up Grant, the City University of Hong Kong
- 2010-2012, ‘Articulatory-acoustic Relations in Cantonese Vowels’ (HK$179,977)
- 2008-2010, ‘A Phonetic Study of the Acoustic Development of the Vowels, Diphthongs, and Tones in Cantonese-Speaking Children’ (HK$179,880)
- 2007-2009, ‘A Phonetic Study of the Endangered lao Beijing hua (the Old Peking Dialect) in Beijing’ (HK$179,496)
Selected PublicationsJournal Articles
- 2007-2009, ‘A Perceptual Investigation of the Vowel Sounds in Hong Kong Cantonese’ (HK$99,981)
Conference Proceedings Papers
- Lee, W.S. and E. Zee (2010). Articulatory characteristics of the coronal stop, affricate, and fricative in Cantonese. JOURNAL OF CHINESE LINGUISTICS, 38.2.336-372.
- Lee, W.S. (2009). Vowel formant frequency characteristics of adult and preadolescent males and females. JOURNAL OF CHINESE PHONETICS, 2.90-97.
- Lee, W.S. and E. Zee (2009). The illustrations of the IPA - Hakka Chinese. JOURNAL OF THE INTERNATIONAL PHONETIC ASSOCIATION, 39.1.107-111.
- Lee, W.S. and E. Zee (2008). Prosodic characteristics of the neutral tone in Beijing Mandarin. JOURNAL OF CHINESE LINGUISTICS, 36.1.1-29.
- Lee, W.S. (2008). Perceptual cues for identifying the vowels in Cantonese. CHINESE JOURNAL OF PHONETICS, 1.212-220.
- Zee, E. and W.S. Lee (2008). Vowel typology of the Chinese dialects. CHINESE JOURNAL OF PHONETICS, 1.77-82.
- Lee, W.S. and E. Zee (2003). The illustrations of the IPA - Standard Chinese (Beijing). JOURNAL OF THE INTERNATIONAL PHONETIC ASSOCIATION, 33.1.109-112.
- Lee, W.S. and E. Zee (2010). Acoustic development of vowels in children’s speech. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 7TH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON CHINESE SPOKEN LANGUAGE PROCESSING, p.358-363. Tainan, Taiwan, 29 November-3 December, 2010.
- Lee, W.S. (2010). Spectral analysis of the diphthongs in Peking dialect. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 9TH PHONETICS CONFERENCE OF CHINA, Tianjin, China, 28-30 May, 2010.
- Zee, E. and W.S. Lee (2010). Articulation of the dorsal consonants in Kejia (Hakka) Chinese. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 9TH PHONETICS CONFERENCE OF CHINA, Tianjin, China, 28-30 May, 2010.
- Lee, W.S. (2009). A frequency analysis of the tones in Meixian Hakka. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 16TH WORLD CONGRESS OF THE INTERNATIONAL UNION OF ANTHROPOLOGICAL AND ETHNOLOGICAL SCIENCES, p.762-769. Kunming, China, 27-31 July, 2009.
- Lee, W.S. (2009). Duration and formant frequencies as cues to identification of vowels. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 2009 SEOUL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON LINGUISTIC INTERFACES, p.407-415. Seoul, Korea, 24-26 June, 2009.
- Lee, W.S. (2008). The articulation of the coronal sounds in the Peking Dialect. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 8TH INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR ON SPEECH PRODUCTION, p.109-112. Strasbourg, France, 8-12 December, 2008.
- Zee, E. and W.S. Lee (2008). The articulatory characteristics of the palatals, palatalized velars, and velars in Hakka Chinese. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 8TH INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR ON SPEECH PRODUCTION, p.113-116. Strasbourg, France, 8-12 December, 2008.
- Lee, W.S. (2008). Spectral analysis of the Cantonese vowels from speakers of different age-and-gender groups. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 8TH PHONETICS CONFERENCE OF CHINA AND THE INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON PHONETIC FRONTIERS. Beijing, China, 18-20 April, 2008.
- Lee, W.S. (2007). Tone production by the speakers of different age-and-gender groups. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 8TH CONFERENCE OF THE INTERNATIONAL SPEECH COMMUNICATION ASSOCIATION AND THE 10TH EUROPEAN CONFERENCE ON SPEECH COMMUNICATION AND TECHNOLOGY, p.1873-1876. Antwerp, Belgium, 27-31 August, 2007.
- Zee, E. and W.S. Lee (2007). Vowel typology in Chinese. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 16TH INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF PHONETIC SCIENCES, p.1429-1432. Saarbrücken, Germany, 6-10 August, 2007.